[Mnbird] feeder stuff

Susan Kennedy smkennedy_mn at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 13:30:54 CST 2022

After feeding birds in SW Mpls. for decades, I recently saw my first red-breasted nuthatch. It was thrilling. Also, I had both a male and female redpoll, which I hadn't seen in years.
More common guests are goldfinches (many), chickadees, white-breasted nuthatches, downies, hairies, red-bellied woodpeckers. and juncos and cardinals on the ground under the feeders.  Even a few visits from a piliated, who could hardly fit on the tube feeder.
It is interesting to me that, after years of having house finches dominate the feeders, the goldfinches have taken over. I still have house finches that gather in the "chirping bush" with the many house sparrows but they seldom visit the feeders. Possibly the monofilament pieces that discourage the house sparrows also discourage the house finches?
Susan Kennedy