[Mnbird] Finch vs Robin

DONALD GRUSSING Owner cdrussin at centurylink.net
Tue Apr 12 15:26:27 CDT 2022

A balsam holiday wreath on my shed is used in winter as a roost by a few house finches. Traditionally in spring one pair selects the wreath as a nesting site. That is true this year as well. It is interesting in that some days other neighborhood finches stop by for a visit. Today, however, a female robin went into the wreath causing a great disturbance. At first I only noticed the disturbance and wasn't sure what kind of larger bird was there though I expected blue jay.
But the robin emerged, being scolded and harassed by four house finches. The robin flew to the peak of the roof overlooking the wreath and stayed there for several minutes, walking up and down the roof under the watchful eyes and complaining mouths of the finches. She kept looking at the wreath, but eventually left. I won't be able to tell if she disturbed the nest as it is inaccessible.

My neighbors probably think I am lazy keeping an increasingly dreary and brown wreath on display. Well, I am lazy. But the wreath brings much entertainment until June.

Don Grussing
Minnetonka