[Mnbird] Lake Byllesby?

Steve Weston sweston2g at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 01:23:23 CDT 2022

Thomas,
There is some amazing birding in the area.
To get to Lake Byllesby (for birding) from the Twin Cities: Take Hwy 52
towards Rochester. Exit at the Hampton/Redwing/Hwy 56 exit and go straight
down Hwy 56 about 5.5 miles to the Randolph turn off (292nd St.)
1)  West Lake Byllesby: Turn left at 292nd St and go to the first driveway
on the right. Pull across the railroad tracks and park so you are not
blocking the gate.
If you walk down the hill you get to one of the best shorebird viewing
locations near the Cities. Some of the birds I have viewed here include
Avocets, Ruff, and just about every other shorebird normally found.
Eleven Sandhill Cranes were counted here on Saturday morning.
2) The Goodhue County boat launch: Go back to the Randolph turn off and
turn left onto Hwy 56, cross the bridge, and turn left at the first full
intersection (Sciota Trail). Follow the sign to the boat launch.
This is an awesome spot for viewing waterfowl.
3) McKnight Prairie: If you go back to Hwy 56 and go straight across to the
first left turn (2nd Avenue) and head down until the road turns to the
left.
Park and head up the hill to view an original (never plowed) native prairie
with pascal flowers and other native wildflowers.
While it is early for the birds, prairie birds should include Grasshopper
Sparrow, Dickcissel, and Bobolinks. You have to wait another month for
these guys.
4) Great Western Industrial Park: Go back to Hwy 56 and head back across
the bridge to the north. Continue past the Randolph turnoff to the first
left.
Conditions have deteriorated with the success of the industrial
development, so I can't promise quality birding here.
It used to be a great place for both meadowlarks, Bobolinks, Dickcissels,
Grasshopper Sparrows, Harriers, Gray Partridge, and migrating longspurs.
5) Lake Byllesby Regional Park: If you head east on 292nd St, you can head
back to what the public thinks of as Lake Byllesby Park. Just follow the
signs.
On the lake here I have found grebes and uncommon loons. I also found a
Mountain Bluebird.
The chances are that you won't find any of these unusual birds until you
have visited here many times.
Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
sweston2g at gmail.com