[Mnbird] Bird Flu Spreaders

DONALD GRUSSING Owner cdrussin at centurylink.net
Thu Apr 14 10:13:52 CDT 2022

Waterfowl are often cited in the media as the birds spreading the bird flu. But I have never seen video of a mallard or a wild goose sauntering into a barn filled with thousands of turkeys or chickens. But I have seen house sparrows, starlings and common pigeons (rock doves) flying into the many openings on such buildings. And virtually every farm yard has sizable populations of at least one of these species present. Poultry farmers would do well to try to control the local populations of these species. Certainly they can get the disease from migrating waterfowl. But these common, unprotected by law, species must be major vectors in bird flu transmission.

Don Grussing
Minnetonka