[Mnbird] Field Trip this Sunday to Canon River Bottoms

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 10 02:36:23 CDT 2016

I will be leading a MRVAC field trip to the Canon River Bottoms area near
Red Wing on Sunday, June 12th.  We will be hiking on a little known state
forest trail in deep woods. Target birds include Cerulean Warbler, Acadian
Flycatcher, Scarlet Tanager, Yellow-billed Cuckoo and Wood Thrush. We will
be meeting at the trail head at 7 am. This trip is free and open to all. No
reservations are needed. The trail is an old railroad bed and is level easy
walking, but not well maintained.

Directions: From Hwy 52 at Hampton take Hwy 50 east toward Red Wing. Hwy 50
becomes Hwy 61. It goes down a long hill before crossing the Canon River.
After passing the turn for Treasure Island, take the first left turn at CR
46. The road will fork almost immediately and take the right fork,
Collischan Road. After about 3.5 miles, you will pass a couple of houses
and the road will fork again. Take the left fork, which will bring you to
the trail head parking lot, where we will meet. Bring lunch if you want to
continue birding into the afternoon, probably at a different location.
Also, bring bug spray.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
sweston2 at comcast.net