[Mnbird] Here and there

Allen Batt snoeowl at aol.com
Sat May 25 10:54:16 CDT 2024

  I had the best time birding at Tamarac NWR, Rothsay WMA and Dunton Locks County Park in Detroit Lakes. I loved seeing the Greater Prairie Chickens and a Western Kingbird. The Golden-winged Warblers are enchanted, and it’s always a treat to be hollered at by a Marbled Godwit. It reminds me of my old basketball coach.
  I stayed at the St. John’s Abbey Guesthouse in Collegeville for a couple of days. I walked a trail past a nesting Common Loon twice a day. It calmed my world.
  The Baltimore Orioles in my yard have been feeding regularly at the suet feeder. I put out some sliced grapes for them. Several grapes worked their way off the platform feeder. A couple of robins ate the purple ones on the ground but ignored the green grapes.
  Get out and gawk at a fall or bouquet of warblers. Their passage is that of a heart drawn in the sand.
  I drove past Muskrat Lake as an oldies station played softly on the radio.
  The song played was not “Muskrat Love.”

 Al Batt