[Mnbird] Geese formations

DONALD GRUSSING Owner cdrussin at centurylink.net
Sat Jun 1 10:06:46 CDT 2024

These migrations are not always successful.  I was told a few years ago by one of the fish and wildlife professionals. that one molt flock elected to handle the molt on an island out in one of the large northern lakes (I don't remember what lake). The island did not have enough natural foodstuffs to sustain the flock and all the birds died of starvation. I've since been using that story as an example of the problems overpopulation can bring to any species, including Homo sapiens.

Some knowledge of the molt migrations was acquired by observations of geese marked with orange neck collars nesting in the Twin cities area.  The collars were placed on non-mating juveniles in molt migration areas in Manitoba in previous years.

In following years, the mature birds mated and stayed in Minnesota to raise their broods.

Don Grussing
Minnetonka