[Mnbird] How fortunate we are to have the Raptor Center and the WRC

Jeanne Van Galder jeannevg at aol.com
Wed Jul 17 11:17:43 CDT 2024

 Thanks
    On Wednesday, July 17, 2024 at 11:05:13 AM CDT, Allen Batt via Mnbird <mnbird at lists.mnbird.net> wrote:

   I sat on a deck with friends and watched birds, each a stunning beauty, visit the busy feeders. It’s impossible to be unhappy around friends with bird feeders.
  At home, a talkative eastern screech owl, all beak and eyes, perched on our deck rail at midnight. Not the first night it’s done that. I see it flying out of a shed, but I never see it flying in.
  A neighbor brought over an American Kestrel—a female with an injured wing. It had likely flown into a window or a wire. I called the good people at the Raptor Center and made plans to get the lovely raptor to them. The kestrel was feisty and I thought it had a good chance of survival, but it died before we completed the rescue trip. I’ve hauled many animals to the Raptor Center and the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center. I should be used to their deaths, but I’m not.
  A chickadee feeds on a sunflower seed feeder each morning while I drink a cup of tea. No matter how many chickadees there are in this world, there’s always room for one more.

Al Batt
Freeborn County