[Mnbird] gob smacked # of mallards

DONALD GRUSSING Owner cdrussin at centurylink.net
Sun Mar 5 10:00:01 CST 2023

Mallards have been wintering on 9 mile creek for decades.  It began when a plastics company (Thermotech) had a warm water pond on the front of its property, the water coming from cooling systems of some kind in the firm's manufacturing. My toddler daughters and I used to go there on Sundays and throw some millet out for them. That was 50 years ago. I believe some water from that company still keeps the creek open.

These birds know the area and there are residents in Minnetonka and elsewhere that feed them.  I have seen large circling flocks near Williston Road and Excelsior Boulevard late in the day for decades.
For many years flocks dropped to residences near Mckenzie Road in Minnetonka.  These mallards also go to open water on Minnehaha creek all winter, though not as many and few spending the evening.  They could get to spots near the Minnesota River quite easily (Sewage treatment lagoon-).  At flight speeds of 40-50 mph it is not a long trip.

Lake Minnetonka has several aerators that provide open water and are visited by mallards during daylight hours. Perhaps a predatory mink frighted them from their favorite spot on 9 Mile creek for a few nights. No doubt they will be there for much of the rest of the year and summer.

For several years a female mallard nested inside the parking ramp that once stood where your building or a neighboring building now stands on 9th Ave. North next to the post office.

Don Grussing
Minnetonka