[Mnbird] Loggerhead Shrike McCarthy Lake WMA

carol schumacher birdminn at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 29 12:19:06 CDT 2023

Looking for birding bright spots today  along Cty 84 before heading to Kellogg fields under water.  The southern end of Cty 84 is closed and flooded.

The most activity was at McCarthy. On the sandy road a perfect Lark Sparrow at the turnaround showed it’s all: wing bar, outertail feathers and complex face of course. Eastern Meadolarks and Field Sparrows were singing away and other species present.

The prize was a Loggerhead Shrike perched in the burned area on tiny shrub next to the McCarthy entrance sign. I turned around on the paved road and stayed in the car fumbling for my scope. It flew up to other shrubs. And then across to the unburned rolling field and out of sight.

My first impressions as compared to Northern were it was small with a smallish bill, a pinkie sized (vs.thumb) lore beginning around the eye to the bill, and no white above the black lore.

Another half hour+ of scoping the area yielded nothing except the Lark and Field sparrows, Brown Thrasher, a Palm Warbler, N. Flickers,several Sandhill Cranes overhead.

After numerous point counts for USFWS, theDNR and countless personal  trips without a shrike it was very satisfying to see one there. With Weaver Dunes SNA, USFWS prairie, Nature Conservancy and McCarthy this area has become an even better and larger for special species.  Bring on Orchard Orioles, Grasshopper Sparrows, Bell’s Vireos,  more shrikes and rarities.

The fields on Co 30 (opposite Cty 81) then turning right are vastly flooded. The road dead ends at water. It was challenging turning around in a Prius.  Gulls gulls gulls including  Bonaparte’s, only a few yellowlegs, and many dabbling ducks.

Good birding to all

Carol Schumacher
Winona, MN on the very flooded Mississippi