[Mnbird] Fun bird days

carol schumacher birdminn at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 9 20:26:51 CDT 2023

We had 2 strong consecutive migration nights  and it showed in concentrated areas of waterfowl.   Yesterday around Winona, ducks were flying in and out at an amazing rates.  Always a pleasure to see well were Red-
breasted Mergansers (+/- 100) on Lake Winona as well as several Pied-billed Grebes and a couple loons.

 Today’s light wasn’t right quite right to scope Prairie Island  divers but Bartlett’s Lake has nest-building Osprey, 3 male Red-breasted Mergansers in the water at the shore and a pair of distant swan sp. Sandhill Cranes were noisy at all backwater stops.  But not 1 Great Blue Heron.  Amazing.

On  leaving Prairie Island a  pair of Trumpeter Swans were at the shore , not far from a pair w signets  I reported last summer. We’ve had several pair nesting in Winona/Wabasha counties for some time, but lately on Backwaters here.

Gates at Prairie Island landings were being locked in flood anticipation.  Hopefully the dike won’t be closed.

Great birding by you!
Carol Schumacher
Winona MN on the Mississippi