[Mnbird] Cardinal feeding juvenile, Dakota Co

Miller Johnson johnson-miller at msn.com
Tue Oct 18 18:54:12 CDT 2022

Good grief. I just watched a female cardinal feeding a juvenile male. He was fluttering his wings like crazy, and smooshing his beak into her face trying to get every sunflower seed she cracked open. His beak is still brown, but he does have some feathers molting into red. His crest is a mess. I think this is the latest I've seen juveniles still being fed.

I saw three, very dark beaked juveniles together in our yard on 09-09-2022, which was pretty late for such young kids. I saw them being fed by adults as late as 09-21. Now today, this. The molting time frame would seem to indicate this male might be from that clutch, but his gape marks seemed pretty pronounced yet for a such an oldster. Anyway, I'm not sure if the kid was just a freeloader or if his needs were real. Could be a long fall for Mom!

Molly Jo Miller
Inver Grove Hts
Dakota Co