[Mnbird] Pewees everywhere!

Betsy Kerr bjkerr at umn.edu
Mon Aug 15 22:21:20 CDT 2022

We drove through Carlos Avery WMA late Sunday afternoon, and we were amazed
at the abundance of E. Wood Pewees and the relative lack of sightings of
any other species.  Aside from a handful of Cedar Waxwings and a couple of
Robins, it was all Pewees!  I'm sorry we didn't count them, but you could
hear their song everywhere in the wooded areas, and every time we saw a
bird on a perch or flying across the road, it turned out to be a
Pewee, which became quite humorous.  I'd say we had at least 15 sightings.

Can anyone suggest an explanation for the prevalence of Pewees at this time
and location?  Could it have been lots of Immatures?  Are they starting to
migrate? ???

Thanks in advance,
Betsy Kerr
Golden Valley, MN