[Mnbird] No woodpeckers

Peter L Gilles gilles_peter_l at msn.com
Wed Nov 10 18:06:08 CST 2021

Don,

Like Pamela,  I haven't noticed a decline in woodpeckers.  I have 3 Downey's,  and 2 Hairy's that are regular visitors to both the suet cake and the other feeders.   I have frequently heard the "ack-ack-ack" of a Red-Bellied in the trees off the North end of my lot.

Today he was on the suet cake twice that I saw.  Last week, I had a female Pileated swinging on a tube feeder -- got some great photos of that.  There have been two (female and immature) around on an off for the last two months.

I had a bonus Brown Creeper in the same tree with 2 Downy's this afternoon.

I have 5 Chickadees  -- probably a family as regular guests along with 2 or 3 Nuthatches -- harder to tell how many I really have.

What I am missing are the usual dozen or so Cardinals  -- male, female, and immature - that I normally have this time of year.  After the breeding season is over, I normally have a very large number of Cardinals on my 3 hopper type feeders.

Off topic, I also have a very large number of Grey Squirrels (at least six distinct) and one true albino with pink / red eyes.

Pete Gilles,
Hadley Lake, Plymouth

Sent from Pete's Galaxy S21 Ultra