[Mnbird] No woodpeckers

DONALD GRUSSING Owner cdrussin at centurylink.net
Wed Nov 10 16:07:51 CST 2021

I have had suet in my suet feeder on the trunk of an oak tree for three weeks. White breasted Nuthatches and Chickadees are frequent visitors as are Bluejays and Crows. I saw my first and only woodpecker today -- a female Pileated. Where are the Downy, Hairy and Red-Bellied woodpeckers? In over 60 years I have never experienced anything like this before. Well, one year I was knocked off schedule by some surgery, but even then, in deep of winter, the regular woodpeckers discovered suet in less than two weeks after it was presented.

Disease? Well-fed Cooper's hawks? Some effect of the drought I know nothing about? Something to worry about or no big deal?

Don Grussing
Minnetonka