[Mnbird] Ruby-throated Hummingbirds again

carol schumacher birdminn at yahoo.com
Fri May 28 16:11:00 CDT 2021

While waiting for our CA family’s visit, I had opportunity sitting 4 feet from eye level hummingbird feeders only 2 feet apart: one a suction window feeder and a large hanging feeder with 4 ports. Three males and at least one female vied for a chance.

It took several visits to see her features:  white below, longer bill, wing/tail length, overall bulk/size and white tail tips. The tail was the most elusive. In many visits once I saw the folded tail’s white as she perched at the window and once as she flew off.  She is very different from young birds.

It was 39 degrees which probably explains the almost continuous feeding between 9-noon and throughout the day.

Thanks Field Guides for a great tip. There’s a detailed post at the American Bird Conservancy about hummingbird nests etc.

Carol