[Mnbird] First Spring in Clearwater

cherise robb cheriserobb15 at gmail.com
Fri May 28 11:08:34 CDT 2021

Hello, birders. It's been a long time since I posted to the list. I
remarried last summer and moved to Clearwater and my new husband and I are
living in a house right on the great Mississippi. As some of you may know, I
am totally blind so I do all my birding by ear and have become pretty
proficient at it. Some of the highlights of the spring migration were the
ruby-crowned kinglets and purple finches which were quite numerous. I
especially love purple finches because I enjoy their cheerful song which
differs from that of the house finch. The orioles and rose-breasted
grosbeaks are so wonderful! For the first time ever, I have a pair of
orioles nesting in the yard and I can follow them through the nesting
process close up. I have house wrens and tree swallows in my nesting boxes,
although I was very saddened to hear about the tragic decrease in the
bluebird population since last fall there were many bluebirds here. This
year I have only heard one or two. I can't say I've heard anything unusual
but even so, it's been a beautiful spring for birds. I feel so jubilant when
I wake up early and hear the bird chorus outside. One final note: I am
greatly surprised by the numbers of red-bellied woodpeckers here and in
fact, there may be a few red-headed ones as well.

My best to you all.

Cherise Robb Neustrom

--
https://www.avg.com