[Mnbird] Happy Nesting Day, Dakota Co

Miller Johnson johnson-miller at msn.com
Sun May 2 15:11:28 CDT 2021

I'm happy to report that two of the three Black-capped Chickadee nests I'm watching appear to have survived to their incubation phase. Hope they make it before the House Wrens attack their eggs/nests.

The Red-bellied, Hairy, and Downy Woodpecker pairs have all moved on to the copulation phase of their nesting cycle. Individuals from each pair spend time inside their nest holes.

The Yellow-bellied Sapsucker pair is acting very differently than the ones I've watched the past two years. The female hangs at the nest hole for long periods of time, eventually leaning in and pecking. She isn't removing any sawdust. The male swings by periodically and then leaves. I first noticed their hole on March 23rd. By this time last year, two different pairs were digging holes fast and furiously.

Happy birding.

Molly Miller
Inver Grove Hts