[Mnbird] Bluebirds and Blue Jays

Allen Batt snoeowl at aol.com
Sun Jul 25 21:02:14 CDT 2021

  A friend from southeast Nebraska maintains 400 bluebird nestboxes and fledges 2,000 bluebirds annually. His numbers are less than 10% of that this year. Young bluebirds have been scarce, but blue jay, oriole and grosbeak fledglings entertain as they explore their new world. The day was a baby when I put peanuts in the shell into a feeder. A young blue jay had never seen such things. He tried to land on the feeder 15 times. I counted them. None involved a successful landing. He found the peanuts vexing. An adult flew in, grabbed a shell and flew away. The youngster followed suit, but not without trepidation and several fumbled goober footballs.

Al Batt
Hartland, MN

Al Batt

“Do something wild today. Look at a bird.” — Al Batt
Twitter http://twitter.com/batt_allen
Podcast https://soundcloud.com/kmsu/sets/birding-with-batt
Blog http://www.albatt.com/blogs
Podcast http://ktoe.com/2020/05/22/5-22-20-lisa-with-al-batt