[Mnbird] 140th St Marsh, Dakota Co 7/16

Molly Miller johnson-miller at msn.com
Thu Jul 19 14:20:37 CDT 2018

On Monday afternoon, 7-16-18, I saw at least 3 Solitary Sandpipers on the north side of the 140th St Marsh (there might've been 4). Initially I thought they might be juvenile Spotted Sandpipers, but they all had the heavily barred tail shown in flight and when "stretching" their wings (plus other markers).

Has any one seen a flycatcher (maybe an Alder, or similar?) in the area between the dump slope and first big bit of water?

Saw Brown Thrashers, Catbirds, and the Bell's Vireos carrying food. Also seen: Yellow Warbler, Common Yellowthroats, Orchard Oriole, Eastern Kingbirds, Robins, Goldfinches, Clay-colored Sparrows, Field Sparrow, Song Sparrows, Mourning Doves, Cedar Waxwings, Pied-billed Grebes, Coots, and 1 Yellow-headed Blackbird (M) within ~200 Red-winged Blackbirds. I thought there were dozens of Red-wings, but a deer bounded through the corn field on the south side of the road and a dozen dozen Red-wings flew up.

I might have to go back. I missed the Spotted Sandpiper, Green Heron, Dickcissels, and Marsh Wrens. No Blue Grosbeak, although I saw them when they nested here in 2011.

Molly Miller

Inver Grove Hts, Dakota Co.