[Mnbird] Red-headed woodpeckers in Hartland Township, Freeborn County

Al Batt snoeowl at aol.com
Sun Jul 9 23:18:43 CDT 2017

  Our yard has certain wildness. It’s an uninhibited landscape. Such a yard and dead limbs make our place the occasional nesting site for red-headed woodpeckers. Our rural neighborhood is blessed by the presence of these lovely birds each year.

  I headed out of my driveway and was down the road when a red-headed woodpecker nearly hit my car.

  That near miss, which I was so thankful that it was a miss, made me think of Aristotle. I took a class years ago (no, Aristotle didn’t teach it), in which Aristotle was credited with coming up with the four levels of happiness. Here they are as I remember them.

        1. Material objects.

        2. Ego gratification.

        3. Doing good for others.

        4. Not having a red-headed woodpecker collide with your car.

    Aristotle was a birder.

Al Batt