[Mnbird] Lake Byllesby, Dakota Cty, shorebirds

Laura Coble shearwater45 at frontiernet.net
Tue Sep 22 19:15:46 CDT 2015

The Lake Byllesby water drawdown began on September 18th this year, instead of October 1st.  The lake has been very full all summer, and still is, but a few sandbars and mudflats are visible now on the west side.

This evening I saw Short-billed Dowitchers, Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs and Pectoral Sandpipers on the west side, accessed across the railroad track just east of Randolph, along Hwy 88.  Also, at Lakeside Cemetery and on the west side, were large flocks of Cedar Waxwings and Yellow-rumped Warblers (especially in the apple trees); 1 Nashville Warbler, and 2 male and 2 female adult pheasants.  I will continue to check the lake for shorebirds and better migrant birding.

Laura Coble
Cannon Falls, MN