[Mnbird] McKnight Prairie (Goodhue Cty) & Great Western Industrial Park (Dakota Cty)

Laura Coble shearwater45 at frontiernet.net
Sat Jun 13 22:09:41 CDT 2015

After the drizzling rain today, I enjoyed some birding at McKnight Prairie, south of Randolph, in Goodhue Cty.  It's accessed by driving south on Hwy 56 from Hwy 88 at Randolph;  turn right (west) onto Scotia Trail after the bridge, and turn left (south) onto the first cross road (2nd Ave.).  Drive about a mile south, and it's on your left.  The prairie area, owned by Carleton College, is on the north side of the gravel trail (or road), and a Christmas tree farm, a private business, is on the south side of the road.  Park outside the gate on the shoulder of the road.  A map and other detailed information can be found online.

Species seen and/or heard:
Dickcissel
Lark Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow
Clay-colored Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
Last year I saw singing Henslow's Sparrows, but not today.
Also:
Brown Thrasher
Eastern Bluebird
Tree Swallow
Northern Flicker
Eastern Kingbird
Wild Turkey
Turkey Vulture
American Goldfinch

At  Great Western Industrial Park, north of Randolph:
Western and Eastern Meadowlarks
Grasshopper Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Dickcissel