[Mnbird] Dakota County Prairie Birds field trip

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 8 01:00:17 CDT 2015

With good weather, good birds, and good company, a enjoyable field trip was
no surprise.  We started at Schaar's Bluff and made stops at Spring Lake
Camp (the archery range), 180th Street Marsh, U-More Park, and Great
Western Industrial Park with other minor stops and found about 83 species.
We found the following on or near nest or tending nestlings:  Cedar
Waxwing, E. Wood Pewee,  E. Phoebe, Orchard Oriole, and Loggerhead Shrike.
The Loggerhead Shrike nest near the Empire Substation had four noisy young
that were almost ready to fledge.  We also had exceptional views of Scarlet
Tanager, Indigo Bunting, and Acadian Flycatcher.  We found two Acadian
Flycatchers on territory at Schaar's Bluff.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
sweston2 at comcast.net