[Mnbird] Question on behavior

DONALD GRUSSING Owner cdrussin at centurylink.net
Thu Jun 27 09:37:53 CDT 2024

Never heard of Goldfinches joining with House Sparrows in mobbing a cavity nesting bird.  House Sparrows would mob a wren if it had invaded the house sparrow nest and was destroying it, eggs or house sparrow young.  If there were wren "babies" in the house a month ago, they would have departed already.

It's possible that the first observation involved a wren attacking the house sparrow nest and a couple of Goldfinches got excited by the mobbing and joined in the anti-predatory behavior.  Or there was a snake in the nest. Perhaps this is the second nesting attempt by the House Sparrows and the wren is attacking it again.  Could there be an active House Wren nest nearby.

If the entry hole in the house is 1 1/8 inch in diameter or smaller that sparrows cannot get in and the mobbing should soon stop.  That would indicate that it actually is a wren nest inside.  They rarely use the same house or cavity for two broods in the same year.

Don Grussing
Minnetonka