[Mnbird] wren behavior

Miller Johnson johnson-miller at msn.com
Fri Jul 12 16:14:14 CDT 2024

Thanks for the interesting tale, Susan. I'm not sure what's going on, but...

One year I had a male select two possible locations for a nest. One was in a nest box and the other in a hole in a wooden fence post. He took twigs to both locations, but seemed to focus on the nest box. A female joined him and selected the nest box. I didn't pay too much attention because all was going as usual, with the female laying eggs and incubating, until I noticed the male making a few side trips to the fence post. Ok, so maybe keeping it ready as a second-brood option? Come to find out, he was taking care of a second female and nest! The nests were only about 20 ft from each other, but were out of line-of-sight due to shrubs. He ended up feeding both broods at the same time, although I think the fence-post kids hatched a bit later. You haven't seen a busy house wren until you see a guy trying to keep up with two households!

Please let us know if you figure out what's going on!

Molly Jo Milller
Inver Grove Hts
Dakota Co