[Mnbird] Mnbird at lists.mnbird.net

Paul Worwa pworwa at allanmechanical.com
Thu May 18 12:10:56 CDT 2023

John,

We have four small interconnected ponds in the nature area behind our home in Chanhassen. Several weeks ago while birding, I observed two fairly large snappers mating in one of them. Last week, both had died and were floating in one of the ponds. Very sad.

There are numerous painted turtles, Wood ducks, Geese, etc, thriving in these ponds, does anyone have any ideas what could have killed them? Starvation? Disease? No signs of trauma on either one, but there are few fish in the ponds, and very few toads and frogs in the ponds this year for some reason.

If anyone has any ideas on what could be killing the snappers, I’d love to hear them

Thanks
Paul Worwa