[Mnbird] Cedar Waxwings

Betsy Kerr bjkerr at umn.edu
Mon Nov 14 13:23:31 CST 2022

I am thrilled that we finally are enjoying a visit by a sizable flock of
Cedar Waxwings to our Golden Valley yard, where they tend to come in the
Fall to feed on the berries of our multiple Juniper trees.  This group is
only about twenty, whereas we've had flocks as large as a hundred, which
also returned through an entire week.  I was afraid we wouldn't see them at
all this year, as this is a bit later than their usual arrival.

Normally they come to the long hedge of 17 trees in the backyard, but this
group is sticking to the front yard where there are only two trees.  But I
guess there are more than enough berries there for them all.  Every time I
see these birds I discover something new about them.  Last time it was the
red waxy tips on the wings of the older birds.  This year it's just how
yellow the undersides can be.

Betsy Kerr
2502 Zenith Ave. N.
Golden Valley, MN