[Mnbird] HPAI

J. Baumann jbaumann-msd at outlook.com
Mon May 16 11:11:29 CDT 2022

Thank you, Tami!
________________________________
From: Mnbird <mnbird-bounces at lists.mnbird.net> on behalf of Tami Vogel via Mnbird <mnbird at lists.mnbird.net>
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2022 11:02 AM
To: Trisha * <grommet94 at yahoo.com>; mnbird <mnbird at lists.mnbird.net>
Subject: [Mnbird] HPAI

Hi Everyone,

This outbreak of HPAI (highly pathogenic avian influenza) has been a learning curve for everyone. We are incredibly fortunate to have one of the labs who can do the initial HPAI matrix testing right here at the UMN. The Veterinary Diagnostic Lab has been wonderful to work with and are sending all positive results to the National Veterinary Services Lab in Ames, Iowa for confirmation.

Trisha is correct, we've had crows test positive but so far the only jays we know of are the ones in Nova Scotia from a couple months ago. Magpies and ravens have also tested positive in other states, so corvids are considered susceptible. A single common grackle tested positive in a Western state.

Because of this it's critical to leave fledgling crows on the ground, who appear healthy, with their families. Healthy birds should not come to us.  If the bird is losing its balance, convulsing or having odd neck/head contortions then it should come to us. Please take appropriate precautions when handling the bird.

We've done random testing of songbirds who present similar symptoms (head trauma resulting from window strikes can look very similar) and so far none have tested positive.

We're working with other wildlife hospitals and rehabilitation centers across the nation to keep one another in the loop on HPAI positive species.

The MNDNR is the main go-to for reporting and monitoring of diseases in the state. They are doing a great job compiling all the data from various sources. I'm sure you saw the news release about HPAI and fox. It's been a very sad year for fox kits - nearly all of them have been admitted dead or dying.  (https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/news/2022/05/11/wild-fox-minnesota-tests-positive-highly-pathogenic-avian-influenza)

You can keep an eye on positive wild bird species via this website (it reflects agency-tested birds, not ours and other wildlife hospitals):
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/animal-disease-information/avian/avian-influenza/hpai-2022/2022-hpai-wild-birds

Regards,

Tami Vogel

Communications Director

Wildlife Rehabilitation Center of Minnesota

www.wrcmn.org<http://www.wrcmn.org>

www.facebook.com/WRCMN<http://www.facebook.com/WRCMN>

Twitter/IG    @WRCMN