[Mnbird] Beautiful day for birding!

Pat Pagel wabashapat at gmail.com
Wed May 4 13:23:20 CDT 2022

Started in the Sand Prairie area south of Kellogg. The McCarthy Lake area
yielded perched up, singing Grasshopper Sparrows, Song Sparrows, and Field
Sparrows.  Hears only we’re Brown Thrashers and Eastern Meadowlarks. There
was a wonderful noisy flyover of 9 Sandhills Cranes.

Back in the Weaver Dunes area I found Brown Thrashers, Field Sparrows, and
a Rufous-Sided Towhee.

On to the Whitewater Wildlife Management Area. The Sandhills Cranes were
plentiful and very active and noisy. Also Pied-Billed Grebes, Bue and
Green-Winged Teal, Ring-Necked Ducks, a dozen Wood Ducks, several Great
Blue Herons, Northern Shovelers, Killdeer, Rufous-Sided Towhees, at least 4
pair of Tundra Swans. There was one Swan on nest.  I also saw a nest
without a Swan or Canada Goose on it. It had 6 eggs on it, one of which had
rolled off into the water. There were gees around and one swan feeding a
ways away. It would be interesting to know what happened there.

I had a Yellow-Rumped Warbler in my yard yesterday. Waiting anxiously for
Hummingbirds and Orioles!!

Pat Pagel
Wabasha, MN.