[Mnbird] Bright spot

Kim Wilcox wilco001 at umn.edu
Wed Mar 30 17:00:00 CDT 2022

For the last month or so, I've been trying to convince myself that the male
goldfinches visiting our feeders were brightening up. They weren't. But
today I looked out to find several of my guys sporting bright yellow
fathers among the dull, winter ones! Certainly a welcome sight on this
gloomy, gray day.

In other news of the day, I've seen some juncos and 2 male redpolls under
the feeders. Those are the first redpolls I've spotted since Mar. 23 when
there was a flock of 50 or more in the back yard. And this morning, a
parade of ten turkeys strolled across the front yard before crossing the
street, single file. We've had turkeys in the yard before; in fact, during
summer a few years back, we had a mom bringing her youngsters to feed under
our bird feeders most evenings for weeks. It was great fun to watch them
from the deck. But I don't remember so many ever showing up at once. Also,
a cardinal has been singing in one of our trees the past couple of
mornings. What a lovely sound!

Happy "spring"!

Kim

Kimerly J. Wilcox, Ph.D.