[Mnbird] Pileated Woodpecker Parenting, Dakota Co.

Miller Johnson johnson-miller at msn.com
Wed Aug 31 10:28:55 CDT 2022

This morning the adult male pileated was at our suet feeder. A juvenile female was waiting in a nearby oak. When the adult flew to a dead snag in our yard, the juvenile female followed and was fed by the male.

This follows multiple visits in the last couple weeks to our suet feeder by the adult female pileated. Each time, the female was accompanied by a juvenile male, which followed her around and she fed.

Divide and conquer, eh?

Molly Jo Miller
Inver Grove Heights
Dakota County