[Mnbird] Blue Grosbeak, Dakota C

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Wed Aug 17 16:26:25 CDT 2022

On a noon drive-by at 140th st marsh, the female Blue Grosbeak was observed
seeming to bring food into a shrub along the fence line, east of the east
entrance to the landfill. She perched several minutes on the fence, holding
what appeared to be a caterpillar, exchanging metallic chip calls with
something in the  bush along the road. Eventually, she dropped into the
foliage, where the chip calls continued. For lack of time, I did not wait
to see her emerge nor search for any others of her kind.
I did happen to notice 3 Green Herons. One perched near the Grosbeak, but
at the summit of a deciduous tree. It appeared to be in a watchful state,
guarding something. Another was in flight, behind the fence and the
Grosbeak. The third was at the water on the north side of the road, where I
also had a brief look at was likely a White-rumped Sandpiper.
Linda Whyte