[Mnbird] Good summer birds

carol schumacher birdminn at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 4 15:11:03 CDT 2022

It’s been good summer mornings from the porch at 60 degrees. Hummingbirds swarm their feeders and potted lantana.  We’re going through 4-7 cups of sugar water a day.

Catbirds call for jam.  Five titmouse arrive with a couple begging and others trying to sing. Two Baltimore Orioles come to to their feeder, water, jam. Eastern Towhees and Bluebirds are singing around the neighborhood. Goldfinches are working the front yard sunflowers.

 It’s fun and rewarding to watch birds working the garden. A hummingbird even went for a flower of a yellow bean.

Last week five Purple Martins were feeding high. Very few numbers this year. Earlier this summer an adult Broad-winged Hawk few toward and over our house. They likely nest closer than I thought, maybe in West Burns Valley, all private hillsides with a stream. It was followed minutes later by the mighty Peregrine Falcon coming straight on.  Whew and a new yard bird.
Good birding all.

Carol Schumacher
Winona on the Mississippi