[Mnbird] Wilson's Phalarope, 140th st marsh, Dakota C., 4/26

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Wed Apr 27 08:18:08 CDT 2022

Having enjoyed the Ibis at 180th St. a second time, it was prudent to check
the 140th St. marsh on the way home.  I was expecting the continuing
Yellowlegs, but this time FINALLY saw the Phalarope, doing its typical
circling/stirring feeding behavior. It was in the west waters (south side),
far west end but very close to the road.
My apologies to the woman named Rose (if I recall correctly), whom I had
met there the day prior; she was correct about phalaropes being there, and
I was apparently correct that I wasn't seeing the same birds she had seen.
They were farther back then, and I had forgotten how pale the males are,
remembering the colorful females. In any case being without the scope and
full Sibley book that day, didn't help!
Also at the 140th yesterday was a pair of Brown Thrashers, foraging under
one of the evergreens near the east end of the road.
Linda Whyte