[Mnbird] Crow Behavior

Stephen Hedman shedman at d.umn.edu
Sat Oct 24 18:13:01 CDT 2020

Hi Cindy,

This is usual behavior for all members of the Corvidae family which
includes jays and crows.  For whatever reason known only to themselves,
they are great stashers.  I have observed crows doing this same type of
hiding in my yard though it was with peanuts.  How they eventually find
things, if indeed they do, is beyond me.  I do put out peanuts on my deck
and quickly jays and crows descend to grab one or two and fly off to either
bury them or tuck them in some nook or cranny.  Sometimes they will bury
the peanuts in the ground and cover their stash with leaves or whatever.

Amazing family of birds.

Steve

St. Louis County