[Mnbird] Quick trip to Brownsville

carol schumacher birdminn at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 21 14:31:53 CDT 2020

After an appointment in LaCrosse a run to Brownsville overlook was in order.
Along the way nice Wood Duck decoys floated close to the road. Near Wildcat Landing there were 5 swan sp. At the overlook a lone adult Bald Eagle torpedoed a couple dozen ducks, mostly Mallard, a few Gadwall and one American Coot.  No swans in sight but there were 20 American White Pelican on a sand bar.  I did not drive to Reno where later in the season a good scope toward the WI side, you can see thousands of ducks rise up as trains go by and eagles fly over.

Colder weather will change the mix of course and the hard freezes of early to mid November will bring birds south. My favorite time of day at Brownsville is always late afternoon and evening, especially during a full moon rise. The echoing swan sounds alone make this an American spectacle in nature.

There is no snow in the Mississippi valley and there is a newer motel in LaCresent.   Driving downriver around New Albin ( wild life area) and even to even lock and dam 9 can be fun too.  The drive from Brownsville to Winona and beyond is spectacular and rich in color.

Carol Schumacher
Winona, on the Mississippi