[Mnbird] Cowbird

Norma May cornercotg at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 15:16:15 CDT 2020

Most years, a house finch commandeers one of two hanging baskets on my front porch as a protected nesting site.  For the first time ever, joining the 5 finch eggs was a larger egg, and it hatched first (as cowbirds apparently do).  Soon another chick also hatched, but the other eggs seemed to vanish.  No other chicks hatched.

Now one chick is out of the nest, and the other is dead in the hanging basket.  So I don’t know if the survivor is a cowbird or a finch.

I’m definitely hoping the next finch brood is more successful.

Norma May
On my little pond in Chanhassen