[Mnbird] When A Sighting Is Not A Sighting?

Brian and Cindy Drill bcdrill at charter.net
Thu Jun 4 08:49:06 CDT 2020

Good morning all.  This is a late post, but I spent most of 2 days
trying to figure out if 'I saw what I saw'.

On Tuesday morning I was out to water plants.  As I walked to the front
of the house, thinking only about unwinding the hose and what I was
about to do, there was a sudden flurry of feather sounds coming from my
right, but no vocalization.  We are talking about the width of a single
driveway from me, at the front of my neighbors house.  As I turned
quickly to find the source of the activity, a fairly large bird was
launching away from me from somewhere around ground level.  It flew--not
upwards, staying just above car tops but below the tree line--across the
street and down the block and out of sight.

In the few seconds I had to observe the bird (rear end view exclusively)
I noted an overall grey color, but with a distinct white patch above the
tail.  The flight was a bit different as well, a slower paced flap/soar
pattern.  My thoughts were that it was too large for a pigeon, it
reminded me of a hawk, yet I noticed some similarity to a gull in
flight.  I have seen plenty of Nighthawks, and this bird was larger
without the mottled coloring.

Digging into my various bird books and online sources, it keeps coming
back that I may have seen an adult male Northern Harrier.  I can't find
another bird that has enough similar points to match up.  Thoughts?
Cindy in North Mankato