[Mnbird] A surfeit of blue jays

DONALD GRUSSING Owner cdrussin at centurylink.net
Sun Jan 19 11:26:59 CST 2020

I once saw blue jay dive at a house wren that was nesting in a house in my yard. It was hard to see them on the ground, but then the jay flew up into an oak tree carrying something in its beak. It started whacking at it like they do with nuts. I walked underneath the jay to try to see what was going on. The jay ignored me and kept delivering blows. So I threw a couple of sticks at it and the jay flew off dropping the item of interest. It was indeed a freshly killed house wren and its skull had been opened and emptied.

Another interesting peek into the private lives of corvidae.

Don Grussing
Minnetonka