[Mnbird] Owl Question

Brian and Cindy Drill bcdrill at charter.net
Tue Feb 25 19:15:28 CST 2020

Good evening.  My husband and I were on a walk this afternoon, and it
was between 3 and 4 when we were passing a wooded hillside.  There was a
commotion of sorts, and very loud owl sounds coming from the trees
behind one of the residences along the street.  We tried to see any sign
of the owl(s), but were unable to get any visual (trees included a
rather large pine).  We waited in the street and heard perhaps 3
different occasions of calls, and I thought at one point it included a
crow, but we never saw flight from anywhere.  My question is how unusual
is it to have owl activity at that time of the afternoon, unless they
were being harassed?  While we have had on one occasion a hooting owl in
our neighborhood a few blocks from this wooded area, it was after sunset
and to our disappointment we couldn't actually see the bird.  We have
also had evidence of them hunting around here at night, including a dead
rabbit on the roof of our garage a few years ago.  They are such lovely
birds, we keep hoping to spot one.  Thanks, Cindy in North Mankato