[Mnbird] Post-storm movement?

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Sat Aug 15 15:26:19 CDT 2020

At 7:30 this morning a flock of Chimney Swifts was foraging at low
elevation over Hamline/Wellesley in St. Paul.  Most summers, as with this
one, there have been breeding pairs using the chimney of the school at this
intersection. This morning's flock may have been communal-roosting there,
in preparation for the move south. (In years past, flocks of over 150 were
there for the August Swift Count.)
So now I'm wondering what effect, if any, last night's storm may have had
on such movement. Would migrators move out ahead of such weather, or hunker
down to get behind it?  I was anticipating warblers in the bird-banding
nets at Carver Park this morning, but we had none. It will be interesting
to see if today's birding reports show a large influx of warblers and other
migrators.