[Mnbird] Wednesday birding, Rusty Blackbirds and more, Dakota/Goodhue C.

linda whyte birds at moosewoods.us
Thu Apr 9 14:36:35 CDT 2020

An afternoon of car birding in hopes of shorebirds yielded none of those,
but plenty more. Jirik Sod Farm was devoid of the targets, but led to a
much-coveted (by me, anyway) and often denied sighting of Rusty Blackbirds.
Luckily, Rob suggested checking the short, dead-end stretch of Blaine,
north of 66, across from the sod farm, at least as far as the bridge over
the Vermilion River.
Just over the bridge is a WMA, where we noticed some flooded backwater.
There was little of note on the river, but we could hear blackbird voices
that were definitely not Red-wings'. As we pulled into the little parking
area, a flock rose from the shallows of the flooded edges, beyond our
sights. Returning after several minutes, they gave us ample time to observe
their wet foraging, and then hear their chorus songs when they rose  to the
trees---until a Sharp-shinned Hawk sent them packing.
After that we headed to Randolph and L. Byllesby. The Industrial Park
presented nothing new, though we did enjoy N. Flickers and a Kestrel. The
boat ramp on the south side of Byllesby, however, was quite productive of
waterfowl FOYs. Searching unsuccessfully for Loon, we managed against the
wind, to scope numerous Ruddy Ducks, some American Wigeon, some Horned
Grebes, and around 6 American Pelicans, among other species seen on an
earlier visit. On the drive home we enjoyed a N. Harrier at the 180th St.
Marsh, and then some FOY Tree Swallows that have our sympathies during this
wintry-weather regression.  If anything sets us a survivalist example we
need, it has to be birds!
Linda Whyte