[Mnbird] Early Spring Birds

Brian and Cindy Drill bcdrill at charter.net
Fri Apr 3 10:01:52 CDT 2020

Good morning--

This past week I have seen one male goldfinch that was nearly back to
full breeding color on my feeder.  It was a welcome sight since the
goldfinches that were so plentiful into early winter had gone oddly
absent despite my keeping my feeders filled the same.  Yesterday
killdeer were calling from somewhere near by early in the morning.  The
day before, 4 sandhill cranes flew over, which is a bit odd for our
area--we normally don't seem to be in the flight path when they migrate.
The male cardinal has been observed feeding his mate, and one morning
she was checking out the carport for possible nest sites.  Juncos are
gathering for migration, at times grouping in lilacs at the back of the
yard.

Our outdoor exercise walks have given us a nice look at a pair of wood
ducks and a great blue heron at Hiniker Pond, plus a few Canada geese
and some mallards at Spring Lake. A type of sparrow was moving in and
out of last years cat tails, I didn't get close enough for a full ID.

This morning a ruby crowned kinglet was doing its darnedest to flit to
every branch on the magnolia over my little pond so I got a nice look
from the window.  Fun stuff, to be sure, despite the cold and dreary
day.  Stay well, all--Cindy in North Mankato