[Mnbird] Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge & Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter - Field Trips and trails update - 4/2/2020

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan at msn.com
Thu Apr 2 15:40:32 CDT 2020

4/2/2020

For those interested in birding at the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge.  I was at the Rapids Lake Unit on April 1st and at the Bass Ponds and Old Cedar Ave. today.

4/1 - Rapids Lake Education and Visitor Center
At the Rapids Lake Unit, the South loop trail from the visitor center is dry, except for one small muddy spot.  The trail to the North is closed and you can only go about 100 yards before the trail is flooded.  Overall it was pretty quite there yesterday.  There were a few Dark-eyed Junco's, American Tree Sparrows and some Song Sparrows there and the feeders were full and had the usual birds at them.

4/2 - Old Cedar Ave Bridge
I just did a quick walk here, to check on the trails.  The Bluff Trail is open and the Trail to the East is also open.  But the board walk is under water about half way out.

4/2 - Bass Ponds
The trails are open, but the water level is closing in on the trail near the large Bass Pond.  Had some Rusty Blackbirds and an Eastern Phoebe, plus lots of Waterfowl on Long Meadow Lake.

MVNWR & MRVAC - Field trips
Closure's and Cancelations

In an effort to follow the CDC health official guidelines, I have canceled all of the field trips that I am scheduled to lead for MRVAC & the MVNWR until May 9th.  At that time I will follow any updated closure recommendations.

The Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge, Visitor Centers are both still closed to the public, but all trails that are passable are open from sunrise to sunset.  Please check the Refuge web site or the Refuge Facebook page for updates on trail conditions and updates on the visitor center closures and updates on programs at the Minnesota Valley NWR.

The Minnesota River Valley Audubon Chapter is in the process of upgrading their web site, so unfortunately there is no current updates on MRVAC field trips there at this time.

These are the Field Trips or Refuge Walks that I am leading that are being canceled.

April 6 - Monday - MRVAC/MVNWR - Rapids Lake Unit
April 11 - Saturday - MRVAC/MVNWR - Rapids Lake Unit
April 16, 17 - Thursday/Friday - MRVAC - Central Minnesota Birding Days - Field Trip
April 26 - Sunday - MRVAC/MVNWR - Bass Ponds
May 2 - MRVAC/MVNWR - Bass Ponds
May 3 - MRVAC/MVNWR - Rapids Lake Unit

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about these walks or birding on the MVNWR.

Thank you, Craig

Craig Mandel
EgretCMan at msn.com
952-240-7647