[Mnbird] Fall is in the Air

Brian and Cindy bcdrill at charter.net
Tue Sep 10 15:43:37 CDT 2019

Good afternoon---enjoying what I hope is not the last gorgeous day, but
definitely a fine one.

Have begun hearing Fall sounds at daybreak, the ones I haven't heard
since Spring--geese sounding as they pass overhead, some light warbler
noises in the trees, Blue Jays calling, and this morning the soft sound
of a robin as well.  Once the sun is up, the goldfinches are the most
prevalent bird at the feeders, mostly young ones with constant calling
and adorable bumbling flight. Practice makes perfect.  Chickadees are
feeding in small groups as well.  Nearly silent visits by wrens and
catbirds, scurrying in and out of the flower garden tangle, not the
noisy visits from early summer.  This afternoon, so far 2 sightings of a
Common Yellow Throat.  Still, summer hangs on with the presence of
hummingbirds yet at the feeders.

I have a non-feathered garden friend as well.  We discovered that a
brown anole has taken up residence in the flower garden.  The assumption
being that he was a stow-away in one of the Florida-import plants I
purchased in the Spring, and he managed to escape attention until about
3 weeks ago.  Too small, and your eye needs to learn to spot him, the
same way you learn to see birds. We are enjoying him, although we
understand that his summer here will end tragically once the weather has
turned cold.  He has this wonderful full scale terrarium to live in for
now, and has no interest in being captured.  Cindy in North Mankato

---