[Mnbird] House Sparrow habits

Al Batt snoeowl at aol.com
Tue Aug 13 08:56:35 CDT 2019

  Painted lady butterflies, thistle caterpillars all grown up, were numerous and fluttering low across the highway. Many were hit by vehicles. I made a stop, pulling into a parking lot filled with automobiles. Before I got out of my car, I watched as House Sparrows flew in and picked among the dead painted ladies littering the pavement surrounding the cars. The birds used their bills to grab butterflies and then beat the insects against the hard surface, knocking off wings and legs. Lunch was served.

Al Batt
Your Hartland correspondent