[Mnbird] Fox Sparrows

Pamela Freeman gleskarider at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 14:36:14 CDT 2019

My yard is teaming with fox sparrows skittering, kicking, fluttering in the
snow to find the seeds I cast about yesterday.
They are accompanied by the smaller darker and more coy shapes of the
juncos, darting in with their cute pink beaks to snatch a seed whenever the
sparrows leave a space of quiet.
Too, some jays have found the corn, and they take turns jumping down to
snatch some of it before flying up to take their turn at the watch.
And to the side, a pair of young lover cardinals, he seeming to hang on her
every movement. I kept waiting to see if he would feed her, but he never
did.

The squirrels, too, are thankful for the food. And amongst the quick lean
reds and the more plump but still agile greys, is a single black squirrel.
He or she stands out, inky against the white snow, more dense in presence,
and not ordinary.

- Pamela
Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to
accomplish it. The time will pass anyway. - Unknown

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
― Aldo Leopold
I am one who cannot.