[Mnbird] crab grass

DONALD GRUSSING Owner cdrussin at centurylink.net
Thu Oct 11 15:35:44 CDT 2018

Before the rains we enjoyed two days of very busy clay colored sparrows in our yard, eating crabgrass seeds. (It was a good year for crab grass). They were everywhere the crab grass was, looking at first very much like leaves as they moved about. They were joined in the grass, and also in the shrubs and trees by yellow-rumped warblers and one very dark warbler I could not identify (even though it was only 10 feet away).

It reminded me of my childhood when I would watch flocks of house sparrows (we called them English sparrows then) going everywhere the crabgrass grew. One year they were joined by a greenish yellow parakeet. I always wonder what happened to that escapee.

Don Grussing
Minnetonka