[Mnbird] Signs of spring on Highway 52

Kyle TePoel kctepo00 at smumn.edu
Mon Mar 19 09:09:09 CDT 2018

Yesterday, while traveling south on highway 52 from the cities, I came
across a few firsts for the year. First Killdeer (near 180th Street, Dakota
County), Bluebird (near Hader, Goodhue), Sandhill Cranes (pair just north
of Zumbrota), Turkey Vultures (south of Chatfield), and woodchuck
(roadkill, unfortunately).

Also, lots of eagles throughout the trip, and red-tailed hawks were
everywhere--including the leucistic one (seen at the highway 52/55 split in
Inver Grove Heights). Blackbirds are increasing, and on my return trip in
early evening, near Lake Byllesby, hundreds of ducks were flying
north/northwest and appeared to be lowering for a landing--is there any
open water there yet?

Also seen twice over the weekend was a Great Horned Owl on a nest along 694
just west of the Century Ave. exit.

Kyle Te Poel
Stillwater Township, MN